Pharmaceutical Micro Molding
Makuta has many years of experience producing pharmaceutical micro molded parts. Our customers count on us to meet all of their application requirements including:
- Process control, documentation and traceability
- Audited to ISO 13485
- Wide ranges of engineering grade resins
- Two-shot molding capabilities
- Cleanroom injection molding
- Automated parts removal and packaging for “no-touch” DNA/RNA-free parts
- Micro mold technology that supports the micron level requirements of highly challenging applications
Makuta works very closely with engineers from the pharmaceutical industry in creating unique new medical products for a wide variety of applications. The Products we micro mold for pharmaceutical applications include:
- IV devices
- Blood collection tubes
- Drug delivery devices
- “Smart” pills
- Needleless injection devices
- Vials and caps
- Specimen cups
Pharmaceutical Micro Molding Examples
- These medical grade PC parts are used in a “smart” pill that is swallowed. The assembled pill holds liquid medicine and an electronic device/camera. When the assembly gets to the target area of the intestines, the device is activated, and the medicine is delivered through an 80um hole in the tip of the housing. The parts have to be optically clear so the camera in the assembly can tell what part of the digestive system the assembly is in. The 250um thick walls and the spray hole have tolerances of +/- 15um.
- This component for a needleless injection device has a 50 μm hole in the tip. The surface profile of the interior is essential to creating the shape of the plume that is critical to function. Optimal processing requires the introduction of nitrogen into the molding process to avoid burning or material degradation.
- Polycarbonate valve used in a drug delivery system. The two-cavity mold has three sliding components for each cavity, all with features less than 200 μm, that are required to meet at one time.
Two-Shot Pharmaceutical Micro Molding
- A two-shot medical valve micro molded with PP and over-molded with TPE. Built as a 4 cavity mold, there are 12 sliding components that interface with one another for each cycle. The highly detailed slide pins are required to interface perfectly with the core pins to ensure that no flash is allowed in the fluid path. Tolerances for this part are as small as 75um (0.0029”). For a video on the molding of this part, see our Two-Shot and Over-Molding page.