Medical Micro Molding
Medical Micro Molding
Makuta produced products for the medical and pharmaceutical device industries for the last 20 years. Our customers count on us to meet all of their application requirements including:
- Process control, documentation and traceability
- Auditing to ISO 13485
- Wide range of engineering grade resins
- Two-shot molding capabilities
- Cleanroom micro injection molding
- Automated parts removal and packaging for “no-touch” DNA/RNA-free parts
- Micro mold technology that supports the micron level requirements of highly challenging applications
Makuta Micro Molding specializes in micro injection molded parts for numerous segments of the medical industry. Parts we mold for our customers are used in:
- Surgical devices
- Endoscopic devices
- Hearing aids
- Point of care testing devices
- Diabetes management devices
- DNA research and sequencing devices
- Electronic components for medical devices
- Microfluidics applications
- Pharmaceutical applications including drug delivery devices, vials, caps, specimen cups, blood collection tubes, and IV parts
Earning the trust of many medical companies has required not just the technology, but also an unwavering commitment to a clean molding environment and defect-free molding to protect the safety of patients and medical professionals. Makuta’s production environment is a certified class 8 cleanroom.
Medical Product Examples
- This micro molded tip is used in IVF (invitro fertilization) applications for the transfer of embryonic cells. The hole in the tip measures just in diameter.
- A micro molded suturing device used for cardiac surgery. This part is required to be micro molded in a DNA/RNA free environment and holds tolerances of +/- 5 micron.
Below are just some examples of the range of medical parts we mold. Please refer to Pharmaceutical and Microfluidics pages for more examples of medical-related parts we mold.
- This 0.775mm-wide POM gear, with 85 microns between the teeth, controls the blade used in cataract surgery. It is part of a unique new single-use, pre-sterilized, cataract surgical device that was developed to bring cataract surgery to small facilities, third-world countries and other remote locales.
- An Ultem barb stop, micro-molded at , that is used in endoscopic surgical system for the injection of media (drugs, dye, cleansing solution) and removal of gastrointestinal polyps. As seen in the photo, the barb stop has two, finely barbed legs.
- A micro molded heart catheter tip that has a tolerance of ± 10 µm.